Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Scripture Ponderings 1 Corinthians 9:1-15

My scripture passage was 1 Corinthians 9:1-15.  Here was my ending prayer, "Lord, please help me to have an attitude of complete trust with you. Please help me to trust you step by step no matter what my future holds. Please help me to follow your leadership in my life and enable me to love and serve my children. I love you so much."  
         This scripture passage meaning was not immediately clear, and I plan on asking my pastor for his insight into it, as well as digging into a commentary on it.  I did capture the thought of 1 Corinthians 9:14 where Paul speaks of those who "proclaim the gospel getting their living from the gospel."  I assume this means that those who proclaim the gospel will be fed not only with the spiritual nourishment of the word of God, but also with physical nourishment resulting from sharing the gospel.  Such as making a living from it.  Or it could mean that those who proclaim the gospel will be taken care of by the gospel.  Essentially, those that proclaim the gospel will find divine provision from the Heavenly Father, He sees their tireless labor and He will reward them as they deserve.  Paul has certain rights as an apostle and as one who has proclaimed the gospel.  However, he is pointing out that he refuses to take advantage of these rights, and instead, chooses to live simply and by faith.  I also took another application here, and that is, God will provide for those who honor Him in their labor and kingdom work.  It brings to mind, "where God guides, He always provides."

 Slick, M. (n.d.). Is it okay for pastors to be paid for ministry? Retrieved March 08, 2016, from https://carm.org/pastors-paid 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I love reading them and it is a special blessing to hear back from you!